Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Speed Weenie - Demo 1987

I always heard the name, Speed Weenie, tossed around when I was younger.  In school, I knew a kid who always claimed that his older brother used to hang out at the Death House, and we would talk about how cool that place must have been and how we wished it was still around for us to thrash around at.  Over the years, it seems as if Speed Weenie is one of the band names that became synonymous with the Death House, but aside from the folklore I picked up from other people my age that missed the boat on Speed Weenie by a couple of years, information seems to be scarce.  Try to do a google search for Speed Weenie, and you'll be met with pretty much nothing but Urban Dictionary entries.

For those unaware, Speed Weenie played some blazing speed metal with a bit of a crossover vibe.

Here is their studio demo from 1987.  I'm not sure if there was ever a cover, but my tape doesn't have one, so you get a scan of the actual tape instead.


Speed Weenie - Studio Demo 6/1/87

I also have a 1989 demo tape that will eventually make its way up here, but I have no clue if they released anything else.  However, I do know that Speed Weenie's singer, Aaron Rider, also sang for Shitfinger, and their drummer, Jeff Roper-Witt, later played drums in Wreck Creation.

1 comment:

  1. I was a worthless waste of human detritus back then and I thought they were scum. used to be in a band with a few of 'em before the Shitfinger and Speed weenie scene. Got the boot 'cause I didn't do CRANK and WOULDN'T bang my head on a CHEESE-GRATER when they were taking turns doing it just for fun.
    Joe Metal and I Did get into a big fight with Skinheads at a party they were playing at, now that's a memory.

    ReplyDelete